We are very excited to be bringing home The Trials of Muhammad Ali to Chicago today!
The film is opening in theaters on the North, South and West sides of the city, with the great Khalilah Camacho-Ali (former wife of Muhammad Ali) and director Bill Siegel attending screenings across opening weekend.
Bill and Khalilah have been getting great media attention, with print interviews in The Chicago Tribune; The Chicagoist; and Chicago Magazine; live appearances on The Interview Show; on radio for WGN; on radio for WBEZ Afternoon Shift (listen today between 2-4pm CT); on TV for NBC Chicago News (watch today between 4:30-5:30pm); and on Huffington Post Live (watch today between 1:45-2:15pm)!
Stellar reviews also came from the Chicago film critics:
- Bruce Ingram of the Chicago Sun-Times calls the film "Fascinating... a mind-blower."
- J. R. Jones selected the film as a Chicago Reader 'Critic's Choice', praising it for providing "new insights into this remarkable world figure."
- Ray Pride calls the film a "a rock-solid portrait of Ali’s passions about faith and conscience" in New City.
- Brian Tallerico at HollywoodChicago.com gives the film 4/5, writing: "We learn about King, Malcolm X, and other leaders of the fight for human rights in classrooms. We should learn about Ali. And “The Trials of Muhammad Ali" would be a great place to start."
- Kat Sachs at Cine-File calls the film "expertly paced... a happy medium between expansive legend and centralized nuance... an antithesis to the Ken Burns-style of long-form documentary filmmaking, packing in just as much subject matter in a film more suitable for enjoyable theatergoing."
Here are the full details of the Chicago screenings this week:
Music Box Theatre
3733 N. Southport Ave., Chicago, IL 60613
Showing daily: 3:00 (Sat & Sun only): 5:00, 7:15, 9:30.
*Special appearance by Bill Siegel and Khalilah Camacho-Ali (and many, many Kartemquin producers and associates - don't miss it!) at 8pm screening Nov 8th (tickets).
*Special appearance by Athletes United for Peace at 7:15pm screening Nov 13th.
Chatham 14 (Screening Nov 8 - Nov 21)
210 West 87th Street, Chicago, IL
Showing daily: 12:15, 2:30, 4:45, 7:15 & 9:30.
*Special appearance by Bill Siegel and Khalilah Camacho-Ali at 4:45pm screening Nov 9th.
ICE Lawndale 10
3330 W. Roosevelt Rd, Chicago, IL 60624
Showing daily: 2:00, 4:30, 7:00, 9:00.
*Special appearance by Bill Siegel and Khalilah Camacho-Ali at 7pm screening Nov 10th.
Photo: NBC Chicago's LeeAnn Trotter with Khalilah Camacho-Ali at Kartemquin.
With a noted tradition of nurturing emerging talent and acting as a leading voice for independent media, Kartemquin is building on more than 50 years of history as Chicago’s documentary powerhouse.
Kartemquin is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Guidestar
© 2018 Kartemquin Educational Films
Sign up for the Kartemquin newsletter
Get film updates and special deals