April 4, 2016 1:03 pm
On Beauty will screen at the Positive Exposure Pop-Up Center during a week of free public events at the Art Director’s Club, 106 West 29th Street, New York from April 6-11, 2016. The not-for-profit organization Positive Exposure was founded in 1998 by former award-winning fashion photographer Rick Guidotti. Disillusioned with the fashion industry, Guidotti created Positive Exposure in order to utilize photography and video to transform public perceptions of people living with genetic, physical, behavioral and intellectual differences. On Beauty, from Emmy-nominated filmmaker Joanna Rudnick, explores how Guidotti uses the visual arts to significantly impact the fields of genetics, mental health and human rights. The film follows Guidotti’s campaign to change the way we see beauty in difference, told through the stories of three women living with genetic syndromes in Africa, Upstate New York and the Middle East. The week of events at the Pop-Up Center will kick off with the Positive Exposure Gala on April 5th, launching the center’s multi-media exhibition. Through April 6-11 the center will host free, public events including curated tours of the exhibition, screenings of On Beauty, a performance by the Heidi Latsky Dance Troupe, and appearances by prominent local and national advocates for inclusion and diversity. Also throughout the week, the center will host programs and workshops for visiting classrooms, teachers, advocates, families, and professionals. On Beauty will screen on the following dates, each screening followed by a Q&A with Guidotti:
- Wednesday, April 6th at 5 pm
- Thursday, April 7th at 1 pm
- Friday April 8th at 2 pm
- Saturday April 9th 4 pm
- Cinema/Chicago screening at DuSable Museum Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:15 AM
- On Beauty screening at DuSable Museum Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:15 AM
- On Beauty screening at Ashland Independent Film Festival Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:10 PM
- On Beauty screening at Ashland Independent Film Festival Friday, April 8, 2016 6:10 PM
- On Beauty screening at Ashland Independent Film Festival Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:10 PM
- On Beauty screening at Ashland Independent Film Festival Monday, April 11, 2016 12:10 PM
Find the Positive Exposure Pop-Up Center's full schedule here.
On Beauty also screens this week at the Ashland Independent Film Festival in Oregon, and in special screenings for high-school students organized by Cinema/Chicago at the DuSable Museum, Chicago. See details below.