October 19, 2020 1:55 pm
Every year the Criterion Collection selects a handful of films to remaster and release with extra features that they consider to be worth a deeper dive. The Criterion Collection announced that it will add six new titles to its Blu-ray/DVD catalog in January including Bing Liu's Minding The Gap (New cover by Katherine Lam) (2018). Also included were The Ascent (1977), Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2019), and Three Films by Luis Buñuel (1972-1977).
Included with the high-definition master is:
- New high-definition digital master, approved by director Bing Liu, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New audio commentary featuring Liu and documentary subjects Keire Johnson and Zack Mulligan
- New follow-up conversation between Liu and documentary subject Nina Bowgren
- New programs featuring interviews with professional skateboarder Tony Hawk and with Liu, Minding the Gap executive producer Gordon Quinn, and producer Diane Quon
- Four outtake scenes with introductions by Liu
- Nước (2010), a short film by Liu about two Vietnamese immigrants growing up American
- New English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Jay Caspian Kang
"This extraordinary debut from documentarian Bing Liu weaves a story of skateboarding, friendship, and fathers and sons into a coming-of-age journey of courageous vulnerability. Over the course of several years and with his camera always at the ready, Liu records the rocky paths into adulthood of Keire and Zack, two friends from his own skateboarding community in Rockford, Illinois. As he does so, deeper parallels gradually emerge that ultimately draw the filmmaker into a heartrending confrontation with his own past. With an eye for images of exhilarating poetry and a keen emotional sensitivity, Minding the Gap is a powerfully cathartic portrait of fledgling lives forged in trauma and fighting to break free."
Pre-order your Blu-Ray version for $31.96 or DVD for $23.96. Minding the Gap will be available from The Criterion Collection January 12, 2021.
ABOUT THE CRITERION COLLECTION
Since 1984, the Criterion Collection has been dedicated to publishing important classic and contemporary films from around the world in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. No matter the medium—from laserdisc to DVD and Blu-ray to streaming—Criterion has maintained its pioneering commitment to presenting each film as its maker would want it seen, in state-of-the-art restorations with special features designed to encourage repeated watching and deepen the viewer’s appreciation of the art of film.