Join the Kartemquin community as we celebrate and watch the Oscars (airing from 7PM CT-10:30PM CT), and cheer on our two Academy Award nominees Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (Best Documentary Feature nominee) and Edith+Eddie (Best Documentary Short Subject nominee)! Event details:
Sunday, March 4 7PM
2375 North Milwaukee
ALL WELCOME. First drink on us! RSVP HERE.
"Banter-bickering co-workers and colleagues in an everyday struggle to carve out heart-wrenching, swoon-graced art, yes, about American justice, about humanity, about socioeconomic forces at play, but also voluptuous yet measured cinema: this is consistently transformative nonfiction at its finest.
"In their work, there is hope.
"And there are also deadlines."
– Ray Pride, Newcity
Press for Abacus:
- "Oscar-nominated documentary tells amazing story of the only U.S. bank to be prosecuted after the financial crisis" – MarketWatch
- "ABACUS Director Talks the Criminality of 'Too Big to Fail'" – The Hollywood Reporter
- "Steve James Creates Incredible Character-Driven Documentaries by Building On-Camera Relationships" – IndieWire
- "Oscars 2018: 10 Nominees Long Overdue for a Win" – Rolling Stone
- "Oscar Week: Steve James on 'Abacus: Small Enough to Jail'" – HollywoodChicago.com
- "Oscar Docs 2018: 'Abacus: Small Enough to Jail'" – WNYC, The Brian Lehrer Show
- "'Abacus' Director on How a Small Bank Became a Poltical Scapegoat" – Variety
- "Abacus: Small Enough to Jail" – FilmThreat
Press for Edith+Eddie:
- "The director of the documentary short 'Edith+Eddie' tells how one picture led to an Oscar nomination" – abcNEWS
- "From Rabbit Hunt to Edith+Eddie, why short documentaries are booming" – The Guardian
- "Cher on 'Edith+Eddie': "They Were Not Treated Like People" – The Hollywood Reporter
- "An Interview with Laura Checkoway, director of the Oscar-nominated 'Edith+Eddie'" – Chicago Reader
- "Looking at this year's Oscar-nominated short documentaries" – Boston Globe
- "Edith y Eddie: casados a los noventa, separados contra su voluntad" – EL PAÍS
With a noted tradition of nurturing emerging talent and acting as a leading voice for independent media, Kartemquin is building on more than 50 years of history as Chicago’s documentary powerhouse.
Kartemquin is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Guidestar
© 2018 Kartemquin Educational Films
Sign up for the Kartemquin newsletter
Get film updates and special deals