March 7, 2018 4:25 pm
This past Sunday we celebrated a momentous occasion in the 52-year history of Kartemquin: following their nominations two of our films, Edith+Eddie and Abacus: Small Enough to Jail, traveled to the 90th Academy Awards® along with their respective filmmaking teams. Edith+Eddie directed, produced and edited by Laura Checkoway and produced by Thomas Lee Wright was nominee in the Best Documentary (Short Subject) category. Abacus, directed by Steve James and produced by Mark Mitten and Julie Goldman was a nominee in the Best Documentary Feature category.
ABCnews followed Checkoway's journey as a first-time Oscar® nominee, in a piece that you can read here.
EDITH+EDDIE director, producer, editor Laura Checkoway shares insights and photos from her first trip to the Oscars. ♥️ Via @abcnews.@cher @karina_yyz @Kartemquin @Corky_Lamm @topicstories https://t.co/syjoq3E2sL
— Edith+Eddie (@EdithEddieFilm) March 6, 2018
The entire Sung family (featured in Abacus attended the ceremony, along with members of Edith Hill's family (featured in Edith+Eddie.
Additionally, the Kartemquin community came together on Sunday night to cheer on the nominated films and celebrate together at The Radler, including an Oscar ballot contest!
Press for Abacus:
- "Oscar-nominated documentary tells amazing story of the only U.S. bank to be prosecuted after the financial crisis" – MarketWatch
- "ABACUS Director Talks the Criminality of 'Too Big to Fail'" – The Hollywood Reporter
- "Steve James Creates Incredible Character-Driven Documentaries by Building On-Camera Relationships" – IndieWire
- "Oscars 2018: 10 Nominees Long Overdue for a Win" – Rolling Stone
- "Oscar Week: Steve James on 'Abacus: Small Enough to Jail'" – HollywoodChicago.com
- "Oscar Docs 2018: 'Abacus: Small Enough to Jail'" – WNYC, The Brian Lehrer Show
- "'Abacus' Director on How a Small Bank Became a Poltical Scapegoat" – Variety
- "Abacus: Small Enough to Jail" – FilmThreat
Press for Edith+Eddie:
- "The director of the documentary short 'Edith+Eddie' tells how one picture led to an Oscar nomination" – abcNEWS
- "From Rabbit Hunt to Edith+Eddie, why short documentaries are booming" – The Guardian
- "Cher on 'Edith+Eddie': "They Were Not Treated Like People" – The Hollywood Reporter
- "An Interview with Laura Checkoway, director of the Oscar-nominated 'Edith+Eddie'" – Chicago Reader
- "Looking at this year's Oscar-nominated short documentaries" – Boston Globe
- "Edith y Eddie: casados a los noventa, separados contra su voluntad" – EL PAÍS