Kartemquin operates with a core of administrative staff supporting a community of independent filmmakers and program alumni. We are happy to meet talented new people who share our vision and can enhance our team. You may also want to learn more about how we work.
If you are an emerging filmmaker, the best way to join the Kartemquin community is through our filmmaker development programs. Program alumni are usually our first choice as future collaborators and employees.
Position: KTQ-Collaborative Industry Meetings Coordinator
Organization: Kartemquin Films
Kartemquin Films is a collaborative community that empowers documentary makers who create stories that foster a more engaged and just society. Its repertoire includes 65+ social justice documentaries that include Hoop Dreams, The Interrupters, Abacus: Small Enough to Jail, America to Me, and 2019 Academy Award nominee Minding the Gap. KTQ’s films maintains a vision for democracy through documentary and a continuum of filmmaker development programs (DVID, KTQ Internship, and KTQ Labs) that lift up emerging storytellers and leverage filmmaking as a creative medium that supports democracy by educating, entertaining and sparking dialogue and engagement around today’s most pressing social issues. Learn more about our history and mission: www.kartemquin.com
The KTQ Collaborative (KTQC) manages co-production partnerships with between 15 - 20 filmmaking teams who are working in the vibrant but under resourced Midwest region, providing support in story development, technical skills, equipment needs, office space, editing, legal and accounting services, fundraising, pre-sales and acquisitions, marketing, distribution and audience engagement. When the filmmaker is finished, we provide their work with a home for life, continuing outreach and marketing across emerging platforms, and ensuring the long-term preservation and archiving of their work.
Kartemquin’s filmmaker development programs are the entry point for many into our community and the backbone of our organization. Our programs serve over 50 filmmakers annually and have cultivated a network of 500+ alumni. The organization is a committed advocate for the sustainability of the documentary field.
KTQ-Collaborative Industry Meetings Coordinator
Supporting the Director of Film Strategy and the Director of Programs and Engagement, the KTQ-Collaborative Industry Meetings Coordinator will be the main coordinator for a series of meetings for Kartemquin co-production film teams and selected KTQ Programs alumni to take with industry gatekeepers, programmers and consultants. The Coordinator will also be responsible for overseeing the evaluation experience of participant film teams with follow up surveys and calls.
The Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Handling formal communications with established industry executives and experts in the documentary field; ensure clear communication with film team participants to set expectations and prepare them for success
- Overseeing scheduling on the participant and industry representative end to ensure meetings meet the availability of those involved; track meetings schedule to share with KTQ staff and track towards goals
- Co-facilitating film team gatherings to prepare KTQ-C and program alumni filmmakers prior to participating in their meetings
- Ensure smooth technical functioning of Zoom based meetings, including tech check for filmmakers intended to use visual presentations or video content as part of their meetings, scheduling to avoid overlap and standby for tech support as needed.
- Keep KTQ staff informed of scheduling concerns, film team participant needs, and industry representatives’ questions
- Produce evaluation survey, send to participants, and report back on metrics of meetings success, based on attendance, participant experience satisfaction, and industry representative satisfaction
- Experience organizing conference or virtual events
- Proficient in using Zoom or related video conferencing platforms
- Proficient in AirTable or similar database/spreadsheet application
- Proficient in Google Suite (especially Google Calendar and Forms); exceptionally organized in monitoring and responding to email correspondence
- Comfort level with email and virtual face-to-face communication with industry professionals and KTQ community members; culturally competent working with storytellers from various backgrounds
- Understanding of and commitment to supporting independent documentary filmmakers
- Demonstrated interest in documentary film and/or nonprofit arts/media administration
Timeline: The Coordinator position will be part-time, between 15- 20 hours a week, from November 1st- December 18th (roughly 8 weeks, accounting for Thanksgiving Break). Meetings will take place in early December.
Pay: The hourly rate will be $20-$25/hour, depending on experience.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter with hourly wage requirements and resume to email@example.com.
Candidates are encouraged to apply no later than Wednesday, Oct. 21st. Please indicate “KTQ-Collaborative Industry Meetings Coordinator” with your full name in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls please. We regret that due to the large number of applications we receive, we can only respond personally to the applicants who best meet our needs for this position.
Kartemquin Educational Films is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage alumni of KTQ Programs (especially Diverse Voices in Docs and KTQ Internship) to apply.