Kartemquin operates with a core of administrative staff supporting a community of independent filmmakers and program alumni. We are happy to meet talented new people who share our vision and can enhance our team. You may also want to learn more about how we work.
If you are an emerging filmmaker, the best way to join the Kartemquin community is through our filmmaker development programs. Program alumni are usually our first choice as future collaborators and employees.
We’re looking for the next Artistic Director of Kartemquin Films.
As Artistic Director, you will lead the artistic vision of the organization and work collaboratively in strategic planning, advocacy, organizational decision making, and advancing key partnerships in media, distribution, and philanthropy.
Situated within a shared leadership model and reporting to the board of directors, the Artistic Director contributes vision and direction to Kartemquin as we look to the future. As we expand our team, we are prioritizing creating space for individuals who are rooted in a diversity of lived experiences.
THE ROLE: As Artistic Director, you will lead the artistic vision of the organization and work collaboratively in strategic planning, advocacy, organizational decision making, and advancing key partnerships in media, distribution, and philanthropy.
STATUS: Full-time, hybrid, with moderate travel
SALARY: $120,000 + benefits
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
SHARED LEADERSHIP WITH: Executive Director, Betsy Leonard
COLLABORATIVE LEADERSHIP WITH: Finance & Operations Director, Yvette Flojo; Marketing Director, Whitney Spencer; Program Director, Laura Gomez-Mesquita; Development Director, Emily Long; and Senior Advisor/Founder, Gordon Quinn.
DETAILS: Situated within a shared leadership model and reporting to the board of directors, the Artistic Director contributes vision and direction to Kartemquin as we look to the future, living these values:
UPHOLDING THESE VALUES, THE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR WILL:
- Ensure the artistic health and sustainability of the organization with an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and equity-centered approach.
- Lead the conception, development, and implementation of the artistic vision and focus of Kartemquin.
- Direct the Kartemquin film production staff in the areas of editing, production, post-production, distribution, and archive and provide artistic vision and editorial consultation on co-production film projects.
- Work closely with the leadership team in decision-making related to films.
- Engage collaboratively in strategic planning, advocacy, organizational decision making, and advancing key partnerships in media, distribution, and philanthropy.
LOCATION: Kartemquin is based in Chicago and prioritizes local and regional relationship-building and representation at events, gatherings, and organizational meetings.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL EXEMPLIFY THE FOLLOWING:
- 10 years experience in documentary filmmaking, preferably as a director or producer of independent, social-justice oriented documentary
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a leadership role leading individuals and teams
- Connections to a broad network of creatives and partners in and outside the documentary community
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse groups of people and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Established history of collaboration and a mentoring/supportive approach to working with others
- Respected for the quality of their craft and artistic vision
- Previous experience in nonprofit management preferred
- Lived BIPOC experience a priority OR Deeply passionate about racial justice and equity and rooted in the Black, Indigenous, and/or other Racialized persons experience.
Recognizing that race is a social construct, we are describing people as 'racialized person' or 'racialized group' instead of the more outdated and inaccurate terms 'racial minority,' 'visible minority,' 'person of color,' or 'non-White."
COMPETENCIES AND COMMITMENTS
- Committed to social justice issues and the role of independent documentary in an engaged and just society
- Committed to ethical documentary filmmaking practices centered on equity and access
- Collaborative, creative, and curious
- Demonstrated ability to engage a variety of stakeholders, make connections in and outside the field of documentary, and build and maintain strong relationships
- Dedicated commitment to upholding Kartemquin’s values
FORMAL POSITION DESCRIPTION BELOW.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR: ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reports to: Board of Directors
- In conjunction with the pipeline committee, meets with filmmakers and conducts preliminary conversations about film production
- Works collaboratively in vetting filmmakers and projects, serving as a guide to align projects with Kartemquin’s mission and values
- Supports the filmmaker and helps craft the full story of the film and provides guidance on building relationship with subjects of the film
- Engaged in forming and developing teams for effective film production; particularly with first time filmmakers
- Assesses each project in terms of the potential for a future partnership and collaboration, considering ethics, equity, and alignment with KTQ vision and values, mission, and ethical business model
- In collaboration with the pipeline committee and the post production department evaluates the capabilities of each filmmaker and team, and determines necessary organizational resources to be expended for each project
- Collaborates with the pipeline committee, post production, and leadership teams to secure contract with filmmaker and manage expectation of KTQ workload/involvement during the pre-production, fundraising, and distribution phases
- Plays a leadership role by engaging with filmmakers in the entire film development and production process from idea conception to film completion and distribution.
- Works with the filmmakers as Executive Producer and as consulting editor as appropriate
- Collaborates on the creative nuances of the filmmaking process from production through editing
- Provides fair-use and ethics guidance during production and editing stages of filmmaking
- Highly involved in edit process of film to help shape the story
- Consults with filmmakers about distribution and outreach
- Participates with distribution manager in decision-making related to film release and distribution
- Engages with post team as needed to provide guidance about equipment and technical decisions being made by post department.
- Participates in KTQ Labs
- Works closely with the Executive Director and the operations team to ensure fiscal stability and growth.
- Responsible for revenue generation through Work for Hire, In Association With and Co-produced films, aligned with Kartemquin’s values.
- Provides support as appropriate to Programs and Outreach.
- Work with the leadership team to develop and support the pipeline committee
- Represents KTQ at film festivals and advances key partnerships in media, distribution and philanthropy in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Involved in engagement events to support filmmaker
- Periodically makes or directs a film
- Works in collaboration with the leadership team to educate and advocate for Kartemquin’s issues with the larger media community
- Works in collaboration with the leadership team to advocate and lead on: fair use movement, documentary ethics, free speech and freedom of expression, and protecting public media. These activities are both regional and national and at times, international